Dursley News - January 2005

Well, it took a while coming but at long last Dursley's new heritage centre is open for visitors. Situated in the restored Jacob's House in the centre of town, close to the Market House, the centre houses a number of displays that tell the story of Dursley's 1000 or so years of history.

Also on view are examples of some of Dursley's heritage - a Pedersen cycle, Bailey's early printing press, an ex-RAF Lister autotruck, a butter churn, an enamel sign from the Cotswold Cafe and an early turnpike toll board that used to stand at Draycott.

The Heritage Centre is very keen to hear from anyone who has anything to do with Dursley's past that they could donate or loan for display. Just drop in or send an email to Andy Barton.

  Picture Gallery (Click on picture for larger view)
    Opening Day Ceremony
Rev. Ernie Clarke, chairman of Dursley Town Trust, cuts the ribbon and officially opens the Heritage Centre. Either side of him are Gerry Pierce and his wife Cath who were responsible for getting the project off the ground.
(January 15th 2005)
    First Viewing
The crowds throng the centre to get their first sight of the display boards. Hanging to the left are a number of carpets originally manufactured in Dursley at the works of J.B. Champion in Long Street.
(January 15th 2005)
    A popular place to be
Signs for the Draycott turnpike and the Cotswold Cafe form a backdrop to the visitors as they fill the Heritage Centre building on opening day.
(January 15th 2005)
    A quieter moment
The crowds have gone offering a good view of the Heritage Centre's colourful exhibits. A lady's model Pedersen cycle can be seen hanging at the far end and a collection of exhibits from Dursley's old station is centre-left.
(January 15th 2005)
  News Index   February 2005 News December 2004 News