Street Scenes from the Kingshill Road Area of Dursley

The development of Kingshill Road and the estates accessible from it occurred after the start of the 20th century. The first estate to be built was Garden Suburb, a group of 58 houses built for R.A. Lister & Co. Ltd which were completed in 1911. In the mid 1930's, further development was made by Bishopston builder L.J. Watts who constructed the Kingshill Estate. This estate includes King's Drive, Jubilee Road, Olive Grove, Lawrence Grove and St. David's Crescent. Semi-detached houses in this area were available new at £550 or one could buy a slightly smaller version for £450. The same builder was also responsible for the Regal Cinema, the shops on Kingshill Parade and the Kingshill Inn. Also situated along Kingshill Road were (and still are in some cases), Rednock House, Kingshill House, Dursley Grammar School (now Rednock SChool), The Tabernacle and the recreation ground.

There were never very many businesses or shops in this area of town but some that have existed at one time or another include those listed below. (Click on links for company memorabilia).

  Picture Gallery (Click on picture for larger view)
    Rural Kingshill Road
A very rural scene along Kingshill Road at the start of the 20th century prior to the development that occurred in later years.
(c1903 - courtesy Colin Timbrell)
    The Crescent and The Tabernacle
Looking west towards Cam along Kingshill Road, visible here are the distinctive curve of the buildings making up The Crescent and on the right the Tabernacle.
(c1910 - courtesy Colin Timbrell)
    Rectory Gardens
The entrance to the large Rectory gardens can be seen on the left of this view looking west along Kingshill Road. Although this entrance is still here in 2003, just beyond it the wall has been breached to accommodate the junction with Cedar Drive.
(c1960 - copyright John Shipton)
    Garden Suburb fronting on to Kingshill Road
This estate of houses was built for R.A. Lister & Co. Ltd. and completed in 1911.
(c1930 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    Garden Suburb Estate
Another view of some of the houses of the Garden Suburb development, this time looking west.
(c1930 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    Cedar Drive junction
The Crescent houses are visible in the background beyond the entrance to Cedar Drive which has cut through the old Rectory garden.
(c1965 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    The Golden Wall, Kingshill Road
The Golden Wall, shown here on the right, was constructed in 1962 when this area of Kingshill Road was widened considerably.
(1965 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    The Pike House, Kingshill Road
Shown here at the door of the old turnpike toll house is Mrs Fussell. This building still exists in 2003, next to the entrance to the recreation ground.
(c1890 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    Pike House Cafe, Kingshill Road
Standing on the left of this picture is the Pike House Cafe, now a bicycle shop in 2003. Beyond the Pike House building itself is the Wild Goose Garage.
(1968 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    Wild Goose Garage, Kingshill Road
Another view of the Wild Goose Garage, this time looking west towards Cam.
(1968 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    The Dursley Garage
Once the wheelwright's yard owned by J.H. Lewis, this picture shows the old Dursley Garage. Beyond the garage the Pike House can be seen.
(c1925 - courtesy Cam & Dursley Camera Club)
    Rednock Drive
At the far end of the recreation ground is the entrance to Rednock Drive, visible in this photograph.
(c1960s - courtesy Colin Timbrell)
    Kingshill Parade
The shops of Kingshill Parade are just out of sight in this view of Kingshill Road looking west towards Cam.
(c1967 - courtesy Colin Timbrell)
    Kingshill Road in the 1950's
A similar location to the previous picture but this time looking east towards Dursley town centre.
(c1955 - courtesy Colin Timbrell)