In its time, Dursley has been home to two cinemas, The Victoria in Silver Street and The Regal in Kingshill Road.
The oldest cinema, The Victoria, was originally opened as the "Victoria Coffee Tavern" and Temperance Hotel on July 8th 1879. A price list for the period shows that coffee and tea was available at 1d for a large cup and a halfpenny for a small cup. A drink could be accompanied by rolls, bread, cheese and current buns at 1d per item. Customers were also able to bring their own food to eat on the premises and even their own jugs which could be filled with tea, cocoa or coffee. The building was converted for use as a cinema in the early years of the 20th Century and showed silent films until the appearance of the first "Talkie" in 1932. The exact date that it stopped showing films is uncertain but by 1959 the building was up for sale.
The town's other cinema, the Regal, was built in 1936 at the same time
as the Kingshill Inn and the shops on Kingshill Road. It was a utilitarian
building, typical of 1930's construction. Although very popular, this
cinema suffered like many others in the 1950's and 1960's although the
building itself survived into the 1990s after being converted into a Kwik-Save
supermarket before being subsequently demolished and replaced by the present