Dursley's first purpose-built combined police station and court house
was built in 1864 on the site of the old Lamb Inn next to the Market House.
This however was a replacement for a lock-up which used to be situated
in May Lane. The new building served the town well but unfortunately there
was very little room between the two buildings and with the growing widespread
use of the motor car in the twentieth century the area became very congested.
The building was eventually demolished in 1959, just short of its century
and a new police station was opened at Sandpits on the road out to Cam.
It remains the police station for the area in 2014.