Dursley station, in common with the others on the line, was built in
the distinctive style of the independent Dursley and Midland Junction
Railway. It was ready for the opening of the line in September 1856 and
the building survived until the last passenger train ran on September
10th 1962, a working life of 106 years. In fact the station building itself
lasted until the line finally closed to all traffic in July 1970.
The building was of red brick construction, with a slate roof, tall chimneys
and all round canopies. Accommodation within the building initially consisted
of a waiting room, booking hall and booking office although this was extended
in 1890 to include a stationmaster's office.
The location of Dursley station, some distance from the town centre, at
the lower end of Long Street, meant that it was at a great disadvantage
when bus competition came along in the 20th century. It also suffered
from lack of space due to being hemmed in by the vast buildings of R.A.Lister
although the factory provided a significant portion of the goods carried
over the branch.